Tuesday 4 March 2014

Is that a wig?......

So my visual impairment is a result of genetic condition called Albinism. The condition is caused by some genes getting mutated somewhere along the way, (there is a complicated science theory, but I won’t bore you with that). Another side effect of Albinism, is the complete lack of melanin, which is the chemical which adds colour to your skin and hair. As a result I am very pale, and have the whitest hair you have seen. Unless I go swimming, in which case in goes a greeny yellow colour, but that is a disaster for another day.

This story took place when I was about 8. I was casually walking through the Woolworths car park in town with my parents, when two girls of about 14 approached from the other direction. Now my folks have always told me that people have a good stare as they walk past. A pale, white haired albino, probably squinting or wearing dark glasses - most people haven’t seen one before, why wouldn't you have a stare? It is human nature to be curious. And to be fair I don’t notice half the time, I guess it is a perk of being visually impaired. If on that rare occasion they are so unsubtle that I do notice, I give a little cheeky smile and a wave, and I am pretty sure it makes them feel guilty for the rest of the day.

Anyway I don’t remember seeing these 14 year old girls staring, but I have been reassured they were. My mum and dad just assumed they were going to carry on walking by, like everyone else does, but they didn’t. They stopped right in front of me and said

“Excuse me…..but is that a wig?”

This question was accompanied with a point to my hair. Some people may have reacted to this in a negative way, broken down in tears, shouted at them for being rude, or just ignored them….but not me. I simply replied, before my parents could get a word in edge way… “No…It is real..see?” as I reached up and tugged my own hair. With that simple and to point explanation both girls replied “cool” and carried on walking, like our quick passing conversation had been about the weather or something else just as routine.

I don’t remember what my parents said after this bizarre conversation. If anything at all, but to this day if anyone does ask me if my hair is wig, I still revert to being 8 years old and pull my own hair to prove a point.

So until next time remember to find the humour in whatever form it comes. @klang_28

No comments:

Post a Comment