Friday 21 March 2014

How do you know my name??....

I have been told by some people that they didn't know I couldn’t see very well until I mentioned it ...and the simple reason for that (which I always explain), is that I have developed some very clever coping strategies. But these strategies, like many things are not fool proof, and there really are some fools out there.

Strategy number 1.
If someone knows my name, it means they know me....

The exception to the rule.
I recently joined a leisure facility so I could go swimming. They give you a card and you have to swipe this card on a square box on the wall every time you go in..Very straight forward...nice and simple..anyone can do it.

The reception desk is about 3 metres away from this box, close enough for me to see someone is there, but not close enough to see who it is. On my first visit, after swiping my card, the person behind the desk, shouts

“Hi Karina, how are you today?”

So I stop, turn, take a step forward and answer his question, assuming because he knows my name he must know me, So I respond with

“Good thanks, how are you?”

This, I think we would all agree is the start to any conversation you would have with someone you know. Well a conversation I didn't get, in fact I got no response at all, but by now I was embarrassingly close enough to make a guess at his expression, which turned out to be one of confusion, and maybe slight shock, like I had just hurled a torrent of abuse at him, and then as quick as it occurred he turned away to talk someone else, meaning I could retreat, like nothing had happened.

My conclusion was he clearly didn't know me, but how did he know my name if he didn't know me. This circular pattern of thought went round and round my head for 45 minutes, and I could not come up with any explanation. My strategy that had worked for years had failed me, and made me look like a complete numpty, but I couldn't understand why or how.

The next time I went in, the same situation happened. The automatic reaction of words came out my mouth, before I could edited them. “Good thanks, how are you?” This time I did get a response of “umm..good...yeah thanks.”, Although my mouth hadn’t received the amendments to routine, luckily the message had reached my feet, and they carried on walking, no stopping, or even a change in direction, allowing me to make a clean break from that awkward situation.

When the person behind me swiped their card, and was welcomed by name, the revelation hit me, like a strike of lighting. When I swipe my card, my name appear behind the desk on a computer screen. They don't mean to start a conversation; it is a common curiosity, company policy, their welcome doesn’t really mean anything, hence them both being taken aback by my answer.

Upon reflection, I now realize society response is “good thanks”, and that is it, nothing more, nothing less. But that doesn’t mean I don’t respond with a question just to see what stumbled and shocked answer I can get. It is my little bit of fun...pay back for ruining my almost watertight coping strategy.

More strategies will be revealed at a later stage, as I can definitely make this topic last a couple of blog post, so until next time remember to find the humour in whatever form it comes. @klang_28

No comments:

Post a Comment